Assistant Principal - Immediate Need at Gary Lighthouse Charter School Upper AcademyPosted by: Lighthouse Academies
Posted date: 1/24/2014
Location: Gary, IN
VISION FOR POSITION
The Assistant Principal (APAL) is a deliberate coach and effective manager responsible for helping Directors of Teacher Leadership, teachers, and scholars realize their full potential. The APAL provides high-quality job embedded coaching and feedback to teachers so that they develop their skills at a fast rate. The APAL ensures that teachers design and execute an instructional program that develops mastery and skills above grade level expectations and meets the individual needs of each student through effectively coaching and managing the DTL. The APAL works collaboratively with the school leadership team to develop a school-wide culture of respect and achievement and a team culture grounded in common goals, mutual respect, empathy towards others, and an appreciation of diversity. The APAL is a next generation educator who is a critical thinker and innovative problem solver with a high level of emotional intelligence.
The Assistant Principal is an instructional and strategic leader responsible for leveraging DTL and teacher performance to ensure students demonstrate significant and measurable results. The actions of an Assistant Principal must always be aligned with our mission, vision, and core values. The essential functions for an Assistant Principal are as follows:
· Coach, manage, and develop all DTLs to help teachers achieve exceptional student achievement.
· Coach and develop DTLs and teachers to establish the foundations for successful classrooms: ambitious vision and goals, purposeful long-term plans and unit plans, rigorous assessments, strong relationships, and positive classroom cultures.
· Observe DTLs weekly to gather data on coaching cycles, student learning, and teacher proficiency to diagnose teachers’ strengths and weaknesses constantly and determine strategies for improving their practice and improving student learning.
· Provide a wide variety of learning opportunities for DTLs and teachers focused on analyzing student work, effective planning, targeted and differentiated instruction, as well as high expectations for classroom culture and behavior.
· Serve on School Leadership Team; collaborate with team to determine school-wide professional development, curriculum and assessment needs to meet all school goals.
· Provide professional development to implement the LHA education program; assist with the development of and oversee the school’s new staff orientation; assist teachers in the development and realization of Individual Professional Development Plans.
· Monitor the implementation and effectiveness of the LHA education program.
· Provide data to inform the development of the school’s strategic plan aligned with school and network goals.
· Use data systems to organize and analyze student achievement data; ensure the validity and reliability of student data by attending to the rigor and alignment of assessments.
· Use data to inform decision making, to develop and modify curriculum, and to develop targeted and differentiated instruction.
· Meet with DTLs and teachers regularly to discuss data trends; problem solve with teachers to prioritize the teacher actions that will most impact student performance.
· Assist with the creation, completion and presentation of school reports, as well as required reports for the district and charter authorizer.
Culture of Achievement and Respect
· Work with the school leadership team to implement the school’s mission; coordinate work and collaborate with the LHA network.
· Assist with the creation of a school culture with staff, parents and students focused on strong academic achievement, fairness, respect and high expectations for behavior.
· Work collaboratively with families and other members of the community to involve them in academic activities, to support the success of a diverse student population, and to bring in volunteers and additional resources.
· Communicate respectfully and thoughtfully with parent/guardians remaining sensitive to different families’ cultures, values and needs.
· Recruit, hire, train, and evaluate teachers in accordance with LHA’s overarching vision of excellent teaching.
· Collaborate with Regional Vice President, who supports school-based instructional roles, to learn about effective practices across the network, share best practices with other DTLs to use, and collaborate on group projects across the region.
· Coordinate all state and school-based assessments.
· Determine the need for curricular materials, assessment materials, and instructional resources; communicate ordering needs with School Operations Manager.
· Collaborate with School Leadership Team and DTLs to continuously improve personal practice, classroom instruction, assessment, and student achievement, as well as the overall goals and mission of the school and the network.
· Access meaningful learning experiences (current theory, research, and developments in relevant academic disciplines, professional development opportunities, and ideas from colleagues and supervisors) and exercise judgment in accepting findings as valid for application in leadership and teacher improvement.
· Reflect critically upon instructional leadership experience, identify areas for further professional development as part of a professional development plan that is linked to school and network goals, access meaningful learning experiences, and listen thoughtfully to other viewpoints and respond constructively to suggestions and criticisms.
· Use feedback to inform and update Individual Professional Development Plan.
· Fulfill all outlined and related functions professionally and thoroughly.
Education & ExPERIENCE:
· Proven track record of closing the opportunity gap
· Three to five (3-5) years teaching experience. Three (3) years of school leadership experience, including instructional coaching and collaborative leadership
· Masters Degree in Education, Education Administration or Teaching, Administrative License
· Mission Focused
· Driven towards Excellence
· Relationship Builder
· Talent Manager
· Organized & Planned
· Constant Learner
KNOWLEDGE & Skills:
· Ability to lead and manage adults to achieve desired outcomes
· Ability to analyze teacher practice, provide compelling feedback, and translate that into action
· Strong understanding of rigorous, effective instruction
· Ability to analyze data to target instruction and inform decision making
· Experience designing and implementing curriculum and assessments aligned with Common Core State Standards
· Data managements tools, organizational tools, computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook)
How to apply
To apply for a position, visit http://www.lighthouse-academies.org/join/apply.