CSMI - Senior Vice President of Learning & Academic DevelopmentPosted by: Laura Donald Consulting
Posted date: 1/23/2014
Location: Chester, PA
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT OF LEARNING & ACADEMIC DEVELOPMENT
CSMI is an Education Management Organization (EMO) that provides education management services to charter schools, creating high quality education options for students in the most under-resourced and low performing districts in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. By providing safe learning environments staffed with talented educators, state of the art equipment and facilities, extensive resources and management support, CSMI enables positive outcomes for students and prepares them for competitive secondary schools and colleges.
CSMI was founded on the belief that schools would perform better if educators were freed from non-academic responsibilities so they could focus exclusively on teaching and learning. CSMI provides educators with the extensive resources, training, curricula and equipment that support high levels of educational achievement. CSMI has grown to serve 3,200 students across four campuses in two states. The organization is focused on continually evolving its practice and services based on demand for better solutions and the most effective practices in education. The CSMI leadership team consists of business, law and education professionals with demonstrated track records of success, who are passionate about making a difference in education and in the lives of students.
In its fourteenth year of operation, CSMI’s flagship school, Chester Community Charter School (CCCS) is the largest brick & mortar charter school in PA, serving over 3,000 students in grades K-8. CCCS attracts students and families from within and surrounding the local district. Since 2009, 237 CCCS graduates have gained acceptance to the area’s most selective private high schools, and have won over $3M in scholarship, financial aid and grants. CSMI launched a K-8 client charter school in Camden, NJ in 2013, and plans to open new client schools and open 9th-12th grade academies within the next few years.
CSMI is looking for an innovative, energetic instructional and curriculum expert who brings a proven track record of success in leading students to strong outcomes and growth. Working from the company’s headquarters near Philadelphia, the Senior Vice President of Learning and Academic Development will lead the pedagogy, instructional design, and continuous innovation process to improve the effectiveness of the curriculum used in client schools.
Reporting to the CEO, the SVP will work closely with CSMI and client school leadership (CAO, CEOs, Deputy Sups, Principals) to examine current strengths, gaps and practices related to curriculum across the organization, enhance the interim assessment and data driven instructional cycles network wide, set the vision for what an effective curriculum model should be, and design the plan for implementing the model across a growing number of schools. The SVP will lead efforts to optimally leverage the resources and technology platforms provided by CSMI to maximize instructional efficacy and student outcomes. The SVP will also direct network wide coaching and professional development initiatives aligned with the instructional model and vision.
The SVP must possess an expert level understanding of curriculum and how to implement an instructional program in a district-size context. He/she must thrive in quickly growing, entrepreneurial environments, enjoy collaborating with other talented, mission-driven professionals, possess a sense of urgency to innovate for excellence in student outcomes and be passionate about providing high quality education options to students from under-resourced backgrounds. The SVP will play a key strategic leadership role for the organization. This is a powerful opportunity for an education leader to directly and positively impact the lives of students residing in some of the region’s poorest-performing school districts.
Assessment & Evaluation of Curriculum:
· Continuously assess the effectiveness of a rigorous curriculum model which is aligned w/ Common Core Standards and will prepare students for competitive high schools and colleges
· Analyze strengths and gaps in existing curriculum, and instructional practices and student achievement data
· Consult with client school leadership teams to understand particular school and student needs
· Become proficient in curriculums that will optimize student achievement for a variety learning needs
· Identify, champion and stay abreast of most effective and innovative education practices
Design network wide curriculum model:
· Lead development & execution of strategic plan to codify and scale instructional model to support future growth while ensuring students are prepared for competitive high school and colleges
· Create long-term strategy for leveraging CSMI’s significant resources to ensure every client school can execute on a clearly articulated academic model and has the support and professional development to do so
· Maximize and integrate technology resources in creating innovative, engaging curriculum for students
· Design professional development plan which aligns with curriculum model, Common Core Standards and supports teachers in utilization of technology
Build systems for effective instruction & assessment:
· Create structure to identify, support and disseminate curriculum innovation across network
· Support school leadership team in creating instructional coherence, adopting standards-based instructional practices and planning for data-driven instruction cycles
· Research and support the design of Common Core based assignments
· Research, design, leverage and/or secure external high quality resources and professional development to ensure effective delivery of curriculum
· Build and manage a team that is responsible for the development, implementation, evaluation and ongoing improvement of CSMI’s curriculum and assessment model
· Collaborate with and coach school academic leadership staff to support the effective delivery of the curriculum and ensure strong student achievement & growth
· Ensure highest quality practices and resources are implemented in cost effective way which align with annual budgets
· Build strong relationships with leaders within CSMI and across network of client schools
· Lead expansion to 9th-12th grades in aspects related to instruction & curriculum
· Articulate CSMI’s pedagogical value and model with external audiences and stakeholders
Qualifications & Characteristics:
· Minimum of 5 years experience in K-8 curriculum development in urban school, charter management or district settings
· Demonstrated track record impacting strong outcomes and growth for students in urban populations
· Deep understanding of the Common Core Standards
· Outstanding relationship building and influencing skills, including strong team and lateral management skills
· Experience with and passion for working with students from under-resourced communities
· Understanding of how to optimize technology to improve instructional practice
· Strong analytical skills and ability to disaggregate data to improve CSMI’s effectiveness for enhanced student achievement
· Knowledge of formative and summative assessment systems, including high stakes external summative assessments
· Experience managing multiple priorities and stakeholders
· Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
· Exceptional communication and presentation skills
· Strong in both high level strategic thinking and detail oriented execution
· Strong sense of personal integrity and ethics
· Advanced degree in education preferred
CSMI offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience, including salary and performance bonus
Frequent travel to client school campuses is required
Please visit http://lauradonaldconsulting.theresumator. com/apply to apply. Applications must include a resume and cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position. This search is being conducted by Laura Donald Consulting, an executive search firm for education organizations. Please do not apply via the CSMI website.