High School Humanities TeacherPosted by: Erica Crane
Posted date: 1/23/2014
Location: Grass Valley, CA
2013-2014 School Year (Planning)
2014-2015 School Year (Opening)
Sierra Academy of Expeditionary Learning (SAEL) seeks an enthusiastic, experienced high school humanities teacher. SAEL is a newly approved Charter Expeditionary Learning High School in the Sierra Nevada Foothills approximately one hour northeast of Sacramento, CA. SAEL’s charter petition is approved under the Nevada Joint Union High School District (www.njuhsd.org) and can be found at www.sierraacademy.net.
This school will engage in a planning year in 2013-2014, open with 9th and 10th graders in 2014-2015 and add one grade level per year until capacity in 2016-2017. We anticipate approximately 250 students at capacity. Planning year activities will involve: the development of curriculum using Expeditionary Learning training, development of school processes and procedures, attending community information sessions, as well as other necessary activities. We are looking for candidates that can start on the work of planning immediately and in person, but will consider other arrangements or the ability to work remotely for qualified candidates. Teachers must attend both on and off-site professional development. We want teachers for the planning year who will become the full-time teachers of our school beginning in July 2014.
SAEL will hire teachers and pay them hourly for work during the 2013-2014 planning year, as well as pay for necessary staff development. Hourly pay and ultimately future salary is subject to the availability of funds, and adequate student enrollment numbers.
· Valid CA Single Subject English or Single Subject Social Science credential (or ability to obtain by Aug 2014). Preference is to have both. Current assignment is 9th and 10th grade.
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a team.
· Demonstrated teaching success in implementing lessons using best instructional practices.
· Willingness to attend Expeditionary Learning staff development
· CPR/First Aide
· Successful DOJ clearance
· High School Teaching Experience
· Expeditionary Learning teaching experience, knowledge, and training
· Experience in structures that develop character in students
· Desire and ability to participate in adventure activities.
· Demonstrated abilities to communicate effectively with parents and other stakeholders.
· Willingness/desire to meet the substantial time demands to do this job well
· Up to $7,500 for work during in the form of hourly wages for the remainder of the 2013-2014 planning year
· Salary of $42,000 to $71,000 DOE, plus benefits for the 2014-2015 school year and beyond
SAEL is an equal opportunity employer. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, or disability.