Director of Curriculum and Instruction (DCI)Posted by: Chattahoochee Hills Charter School
Posted date: 1/23/2014
Location: Metro Atlanta
Job Title: Director of Curriculum and Instruction (DCI)
School/Entity: Chattachoochee Hills Charter School
Status: Full-time, Salary, Exempt
Reports To: Principal
Chattahoochee Hills Charter School (CHCS) is a first-year, open-enrollment public charter school serving families residing in Fulton County, Georgia. CHCS, located south of Atlanta, is a recently approved charter school opening in August 2014 with grades K-5 for the 2014 – 2015 academic year. CHCS will add one grade level each year through the 8th grade. CHCS embodies student/teacher engagement and interactive learning, and will feature 15 students per class.
Our mission is to inspire all children to the highest levels of academic achievement through rigorous curriculum that integrates the wonders of the natural world. CHCS’s goal is for our students to cultivate the capacity to achieve a meaningful, healthy, flourishing life that embodies responsibility, stewardship, and experimental engagement with the arts, agriculture and environment in informed, imaginative, and rigorous ways.
Thus, CHCS’s focus involves a hands-on, thematic instructional approach, using the institution’s unique rural environment as a framework for student learning. At CHCS, students will select a thematic academic track—agriculture, environment, and arts—from which lenses the state and federal educational performance standards can be achieved.
The Director of Curriculum and Instruction (DCI) is regarded as the school’s instructional leader. This person must be accomplished in the area of instructional delivery and serve as the standard bearer for all things germane to results-driven teaching practices that aligns with our stated academic philosophy and approach to teaching and learning.
Though not a classroom teacher, the DCI must be prepared to model, coach, and fully implement the CHCS academic model along with corresponding curriculum selections. The DCI will also collaborate with the Principal to supervise, coach, and mentor teachers. Furthermore, this person will design and deliver professional development that will expand and refine the knowledge base of the school’s instructional staff regarding relevant research-based instructional techniques. In order to fulfill this purpose, the DCI will provide personalized support based on the goals, needs, and growth areas of individual teachers.
· Alignment with an unqualified belief in the CHCS mission, values, and academic philosophy
· Belief that all children can achieve academic excellence
· A Bachelor’s degree in Education from a 4-year, accredited college or university
· Pass a criminal background check and other applicable background security measures
· Be nice and sincere and possess integrity
· Strong record of helping students achieve academic success
· Strong desire to implement an academically rigorous curriculum
· Demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy that every minute of every day is learning time by preparing and executing engaging lessons
· Willingness to continue to develop and hone pedagogical strategies and classroom management techniques in order to create enriching learning atmospheres
· Demonstrate a commitment to continue their professional development individually, as well as to continuously strive to enhance the level of instruction at the school in general
· Implement classroom management practices that are consistent with the culture of the school
· Multi-faceted, multi-skilled, resourceful, and willing to do whatever it takes to help our students reach a level of academic excellence
· Possess an entrepreneurial spirit, be flexible, willing and able to play different roles at the school, and to go above and beyond to meet the varied and constant needs of CHCS community
· Excellent organizational, communication, and facilitation skills
Preferred Qualifications (though not required, the following will enhance a candidate’s application):
· 5 or more years of teaching experience or experience in leading/coaching teachers
· Familiarity with Environmental Education, the constructivist approach to teaching and learning, and Environment as the Integrated Context for Learning (EIC)
· Familiarity with the Georgia core content standards, grades (K-8)
Standard Duties and Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
· Support teachers in the design and implementation of lessons that meet the learning needs of all students; exemplify and uphold the school’s mission, vision, and core values
· Collaborate with the Principal and key stakeholders as necessary to ensure purposeful and accurate implementation of the school’s academic model
· Set clear short-term and long-term goals to drive instruction
· Maintain a productive, safe, neat and focused learning environment
· Create and provide meaningful and frequent assessments in a timely manner
· Collaborate with the Special Education staff to ensure that students receive necessary accommodations
· Go above and beyond to ensure all students are meeting appropriate standards
· Maintain an open-door policy
· Uphold all school policies and procedures
Leadership Duties and Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
· Demonstrate willingness to assume leadership positions
· Demonstrate knowledge of researched-based instructional strategies that engage all students
· Provide organized, individual and/or group learning opportunities for teachers as needed
· Demonstrate knowledge using a variety of assessment tools
· Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of curriculum and subject matter
· Provide teachers with support in analyzing student assessment data
· Assist teachers with designing instructional decisions based on assessment data
· Assist teachers with specific classroom activities when requested and otherwise
· Provide support for classroom motivation and management strategies
· Assist teachers in creating materials that are in alignment with curriculum
· Monitor intervention programs by observing and meeting with teachers
· nstruct and support teachers with curriculum software products, and classroom/curriculum related technologies
· Set the example for teachers with regard to superlative lesson planning, organization, professionalism, parental outreach, and adherence to school-wide policies
· Provide encouragement and emotional support to teachers
· Encourage ongoing professional growth for all teachers
· Manage time and schedule flexibility that maximizes teacher schedules and learning
· Assist with development of curriculum, instruction and assessments
· Develop and maintain a confidential, collegial relationship with teachers
The DCI reports to the CHCS Principal.
For this position, CHCS offers a competitive compensation package, including salary and comprehensive benefits. Our benefits package includes health, dental, vision, 401(k), retirement, and life insurance.
Interested candidates should forward his or her application package to Chad Webb, Principal, at . The application package should include: (1) cover letter; (2) resume; (3) contact information for three references; and (4) any other items that you feel appropriate to demonstrate your qualifications. The application closing date is March 13, 2014.
For more about Chattahoochee Hills Charter School, please visit
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.