Aspire Public Schools is one of the nation's highest-performing public school systems serving predominately low-income students. Aspire delivers a rigorous K-12 "College for Certain" education to 13,000 students in 37 schools across California and Memphis, TN.
Reporting to the Vice President of Finance (VP), the Controller is responsible for the oversight of all accounting and reporting activities. The Controller will supervise a team of five – ten individuals that have functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash management, financial reports, fiscal compliance and reporting, flawless audits, and school attendance tracking. The Controller will ensure that Aspire has the accounting and compliance systems and procedures in place to support effective school operations in multiple states. The Controller will work closely with principals, program and operations leaders, and their staffs, to educate and support finance, accounting and compliance procedures, and to explore and improve support of school operations. In addition, the Controller will partner with the VP, Senior Leadership, and the Directors of key home office functions to enhance the support and operation of those functions. The Controller may be involved in supporting presentations to the finance and audit committees, as well as leadership.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Directs accounting activities for Aspire’s home office, regional offices, and schools.
• Oversees all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring accuracy and full compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements. Includes payroll, cash management, bank reconciliations, accounts payable, accounts receivable, school attendance, and internal /external reporting.
• Maintains internal controls and safeguards of revenue, costs, school budgets, and actual expenditures to produce accurate and timely information. Ensures proper implementation and provides training accordingly.
• Manages the monthly and annual close.
• Prepares and present financial statements, in accordance to GAAP, in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate financial statements; monitor and report issues and major changes in financial status.
• Coordinates the annual financial and governmental A-133 audits, which include work paper preparation, liaison with auditors, and understanding of programmatic and financial requirements of government programs.
• Directs and prepares tax returns or reports for government regulatory agencies.
• Serves as a fiscal liaison to Aspire’s charter authorizers with multiple CA and TN school districts, and County, State and Federal agencies.
• Supports the VP in preparing for and, as appropriate, engaging the finance and audit committees around important financial and accounting issues and trends.
• Leverages strengths of the accounting team members, helps clarify roles and responsibilities, develops and trains team members in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
• Provides optimal internal communications for staff at all levels throughout the organization; creates and promotes a positive and supportive work environment.
• Ensures all members of the accounting team partner and support finance team efforts, as well as with the leadership of the other home office, regional offices, and school teams.
• Actively seeks to improve and simplify Aspire’s accounting approach with sustainable and scalable solutions. Includes the utilization of technology to eliminate inefficiencies while maintaining extremely high accuracy.
• Demonstrates knowledge of, and supports, Aspire Public Schools’ mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
• Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
1) Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
• Proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own the function of accounting.
• Outstanding accounting, analytical, audit, and organizational skills required.
• Team management and leadership that creates and promotes a positive and supportive work environment and inspires others to achieve excellence.
• Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse team; the foresight and ability to delegate accordingly.
• Outstanding at collaborating, influencing, and negotiating with other members of the organization
• Ability and desire to translate complex concepts to individuals at all levels of the organization with varied knowledge of accounting and compliance principles.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to Aspire’s mission.
2) Minimum educational level:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
• CPA and/or MBA Preferred
3) Experience required:
• 5-7 years of experience in a management position in the accounting area
• Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reports, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, and payroll.
• Non-profit accounting experience would be valuable but not a must. However, should have an understanding of GAAP accounting.
• Experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to team, senior management, board or other internal and outside partners.
• Hands-on experience installing/improving use of enterprise accounting software
• Experience working in a multi-state context is a plus
• Experience in a complex nonprofit that has multiple programs
To learn more about our schools, please go to www.aspirepublicschools.org, or use this direct link to submit an online application :