Operations ManagerPosted by: Aspire Public Schools
Posted date: 11/05/2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Aspire Public Schools is one of the nation's highest-performing public school systems serving predominately low-income students. Aspire delivers a rigorous K-12 "College for Certain" education to 13,000 students in 37 schools across California and Memphis, TN.The Operations Manager is responsible for helping manage and enhance the organizational efficiency of Aspire’s 37 schools and support offices. The Operations Manager will provide exceptional service and support to Aspire’s schools, regional office, and home office departments to ensure their operational success while helping manage costs.
The Operations Manager will manage support in various areas of charter school operations including emergency preparedness, vendor management, and charter compliance. The Operations Manager also leads drives the charter application and renewal process, supporting Aspire’s Regional Superintendents and other members of Aspire’s Senior Leadership team. The efforts of Operations Manager will make it easier for schools to be operationally compliant and efficient so that school leaders are able to maximize the time and energy devoted to student achievement.
The Operations Manager must be able to work cross-functionally, effectively partnering with home office teammates, teachers, office managers, principals and other team members to understand, support, and (when necessary) reengineer processes and tools.
The Operations Manager is supported by an Operations Analyst.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• School Operations
a. Manage processes and build tools to support school operations across multiple non-instructional areas, including emergency preparedness, charter compliance, master calendar, general operations to meet school needs, save time and money, and fulfill compliance requirements
b. Support key vendor management for schools, including identifying and implementing cost savings opportunities
c. Spearhead process design and implementation to ensure all schools are operating in accordance with the terms of their charters
d. Seek opportunities to provide more effective support, save time and money by enhancing processes, building tools, etc.
e. Develop strong relationships with school leaders, office managers, and cross-functional home office departments to ensure support aligns with school needs, culture, and stakeholders
• Charter Applications and Renewals
a. Manage and improve process for coordinating charter renewals and applications
b. Drive strategy and timeline around renewals and authorizer negotiations for Aspire Senior Leadership team
c. Responsible for submitting key data and school performance reports to Districts and the State
d. Liaison with legal team and cross-functional teammates for specific expertise to better inform and complete charter renewals, applications and compliance
• Team Management and Leadership
a. Manage, coach, evaluate, and support direct reports and team members to help them be successful in their roles and to develop and improve skill sets
b. Effectively prioritize initiatives, tasks, and projects to ensure that the most critical needs are being met as efficiently as possible
• Special Projects Liaison
a. Serve as Operations expert for process improvement efforts, as needed
b. Seek opportunities to integrate data into processes, tools, assessment as appropriate
• Demonstrate knowledge of, and support, Aspire Public Schools mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior
• Perform other related duties as required and assigned
1) Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
• Demonstrated skills in identifying issues, formulating and implementing solutions
• Ability to successfully handle multiple complex projects concurrently; ability to work independently
• Attention to detail
• Excellent organization, time management, follow-up skills
• Highly proactive, gets things done and constructively resolves conflicts
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; active listening
• Proven ability to manage by influence and build trust with people throughout an organization
• Track record of establishing effective relationships with people in various roles
Data & Applications
• Love of data and data analysis! Driven to discover issues and insights that help drive to a decision
• Fluent in MS Office
• Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new areas of knowledge and technology
• Willingness to travel and commute to school sites periodically
2) Minimum educational level:
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in business, education, or related field preferred.
3) Experience required:
• 2-5 years experience in operations, process improvement, management consulting
• 2-3 years experience in managing, coaching and supervising others
• 1-2 years experience managing vendors or client relationship preferred
• Experience or strong interest in K-12 public education
To learn more about our schools, please go to www.aspirepublicschools.org, or use this direct link to submit an online application : https://rn11.ultipro.com/ASP1000/jobboard/JobDetails.aspx?__ID=1746