Founding Teachers, Grades 6 and 7 (All Subjects)Posted by: Foundations College Prep
Posted date: 11/05/2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Foundations College Prep is a new public charter school that will serve students in 6thand 7th grades next Fall in the Roseland community of Chicago, eventually growing to serve 6-12th grades. Our mission is to empower youth to thrive in college and life by giving them access to innovative educators who teach them to think critically, live with honor, and strive for a better self and world.
At Foundations College Prep, we believe that children who come to school with less deserve more, yet we know “more” cannot rest solely on teachers. Our founding motivation is the belief that addressing the scale of our educational inequities requires a relentless focus on designing excellent schools that depend on talented, committed staff, not heroics. We are committed to being an excellent place to work; a school that values and treats students and teachers as individuals. We are looking for exceptional individuals for our founding team who believe all children can achieve at the highest levels, and embody an entrepreneurial, growth-minded nature. If that is you, apply now to change students’ lives everyday with Foundations College Prep.
We offer teachers:
· Several career paths and flexible hybrid roles that allow you to hone your craft, reach your professional goals and gain meaningful leadership experience while staying in the classroom
· Highly competitive compensation based on your expertise
· A supportive, high-performing environment with strong, grounded school leadership
· Significant voice in school decisions and in your own development
· Weekly feedback on your practice and ample time in the schedule for collaboration
· The opportunity to extend your reach with compensation that matches your impact
The Founding Teacher is responsible for planning, preparing and delivering high-quality instruction, as well as monitoring student progress to determine instructional needs. The Teacher creates and maintains a calm, caring classroom culture conducive to learning. The Teacher reviews student progress and changes instruction to ensure high-progress learning for every child. The Teacher also acts as an advisor to a group of approximately 14 students in a single-gender advisory.
The Founding Teacher reports to the Principal and/or an Instructional Lead.
Responsibilities of the Founding Teacher:
· Plan, prepare and deliver high-quality instruction to students
· Establish a positive classroom culture
· Monitor and analyze data to regularly to maximize student performance
· Collaborate with other teachers and instructional leaders in planning, delivery, and analysis of instruction
· Support the academic, behavioral and socio-emotional development of advisory students
Skills, Characteristics and Experience:
· Strong track record of driving student achievement
· Strong commitment to continuous improvement and collaboration with a high-performing team
· Strong content and pedagogical knowledge
· Experience creating and maintaining a positive and student-centered classroom culture
· Strong classroom management skills
· Critical thinking ability and tolerance of ambiguity
· Experience teaching in underserved communities preferred
· A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited, four-year university is required
· Valid teaching certificate highly preferred
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with qualifications.
If interested, please apply now on our website. The application asks that you include your resume and a cover letter that outlines your qualifications for this position. If you have any questions, please reach out to Sarah Hunko Baker, Founding Principal, at firstname.lastname@example.org