Elementary School Art TeacherPosted by: Success Academy Charter Schools
Posted date: 11/05/2013
Location: New York, NY
Our Elementary School Art Teacher will…
· Be a part of a highly motivated team committed to education reform, parent choice, and the building of exemplary schools.
· Possess knowledge of art and design concepts, a variety of media and materials, and broad range of art history.
· Implement a dynamic and rigorous approach to art and design education.
· Promote scholars’ self-expression and exploration while deepening their knowledge and understanding of art, design and art history.
· Successfully use a backwards design model in creating curriculum with clear objectives and goals directly related to end of year benchmarks.
· Utilize discourse and critique to press scholars critical thinking about art and their practice.
· Collaborate with Art Teachers across the network to build and continuously improve upon a superb art and design program.
· Receive and implement ongoing feedback from an outstanding leadership team and faculty.
· Teach in studios filled with resources, materials, and technology.
· Join a ground-breaking faculty of teachers who regularly collaborate on a team and with leadership.
Our ideal Elementary School Art Teacher will have at least two years of full-time classroom experience and have demonstrated a track record of propelling students’ mastery of art and design. Qualified candidates have prior experience in establishing creative environments whereby art and design is explored, discovered, and analyzed both in and out of the classroom. Both a Masters Degree and NYS teaching certification in the content area are preferred (Bachelor’s Degree is required).
Demonstrated competencies in the following areas are a must:
· Curriculum Design. Experience in designing and implementing curriculum using backwards design approach.
· Media and Materials. Possess broad range of knowledge in a variety of mediums including drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture, collage, design, and construction.
· Art History. Regularly incorporates art history in ways that are engaging and meaningful to students and objectives.
· Assessment. Utilizes in class assessments to shape lessons and drive instruction.
· Accountability and Data Driven. Proven record of achievement as evidenced by student work, learning, and data.
· Stamina. Ability to handle the intensity required to thrive in a high-performing charter school.
· Management. Ability to manage the behavior in your art studio.
· Self-Reflection. Ability to accept and implement feedback received for real-time improvement.
In addition, the following characteristics are required to be successful on this team:
· Dedication to Mission. A genuine interest in finding ways to improve public education and support our schools.
· Deadline and Detail Driven. Thinks critically about the details of a task at hand. Meeting project timelines set by leadership in an effort to improve one’s practice.
· Flexibility. Ability to adjust expected tasks and schedule to the updated priorities.
· Collaboration. Working with teammates and responsive to feedback.
· Beyond Z Attitude. Willingness to go above and beyond the requirements of the job to be innovative and support the organization.
Please upload a cover letter and resume outlining your skills and experience to http://www.successcareers.org. Your cover letter should explain why you would be an excellent Elementary School Art Teacher at Success Academy. Further along in the interview process, you will be required to submit four photographs, including three of student work and one of a student display, as well as your professional portfolio.
Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.