Aspire Public Schools is a national nonprofit organization that currently operates 37 high-performing, open-enrollment public charter schools serving 13,000 students in underserved communities across California and Memphis, Tenn. Aspire is one of the highest-performing public school systems in the country, delivering a rigorous College for Certain education to students in grades K-12. An unrelenting focus on college preparedness led to 100 percent of graduating Aspire seniors being accepted to four year colleges or universities in 2010, 2011 and 2012.
The Manager of Real Estate will be responsible for the acquisition, development, and management of real estate projects that support Aspire Public Schools’ mission. The Manager of Real Estate will report to the Chief Financial Officer and work closely with the Facilities Manager and Vice President of Finance to execute real-estate related objectives. Top priorities will be to identify facilities solutions for existing schools for which Aspire is seeking permanent locations which may include site acquisition, development, or lease negotiation. Additional responsibilities include management of new site development include overseeing construction managers, managing project budgets, negotiating development deals, as we as lease management and negotiation to ensure all Aspire schools and the organization are in a strong financial position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Locate viable properties for school expansions and relocations in communities of interests.
• Vet and manage relationships with brokers, architects, property developers, and general contractors.
• Manage contracts and leases with school districts, nonprofit organizations, community partners, and private property owners.
• Manage all diligence, pre-development, major renovations and construction, and closeout activities for new construction and major renovations. Manage public permitting process for new construction and renovations. Ensure alignment with DSA specifications as applicable.
• Understand school and Aspire financials, analyze real estate opportunities with financial lens, develop solutions that are financially viable for Aspire schools and the organization
• Participate in strategic planning around Aspire’s real estate and facilities portfolio.
• Coordinate with Facilities Manager on major capital and tenant improvement projects depending on scope.
• Support lease/renewal/purchase negotiations with the CFO
• Create and manage project budgets and timelines, including alignment with State/Federal facilities related grants.
• Routine travel of 10% -15% to Aspire school sites and potential locations.
• Demonstrate knowledge of, and support, Aspire Public Schools mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
• Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
1) Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
• Knowledge of real estate industry and real estate finance, within K-12 education is ideal
• Keen understanding of real estate landscapes in Aspire’s current markets, particularly in California
• Ability to negotiate deals and engage persuasive communication, including with public entities and officials
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Excellent project management, organizational, and budgeting skills.
• High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook required
• Attention to detail
• Strong communications and interpersonal skills
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to Aspire’s mission
2) Minimum educational level:
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Master’s degree in business, real estate, or urban planning preferred.
• Real estate license preferred.
3) Experience required:
• At least 5 years in the real estate industry.
• At least 3 years of school facilities, construction management, and real estate development experience preferred.
• Experience working at a non-profit organization and comfortable in a fast-paced environment.
• Demonstrated interest or experience in K-12 education.
To learn more about our schools, please go to www.aspirepublicschools.org, or use this direct link to submit an online application : https://rn11.ultipro.com/ASP1000/jobboard/JobDetails.a spx?__ID=1731