Chemistry Teacher - 10th Grade MYP ProgramPosted by: The Odyssey Preparatory Academy
Posted date: 9/25/2013
Position Title: The Odyssey Institute for Advanced and International Studies is currently seeking to fill the position of TEACHER [International Baccalaureate (IB) High School Chemistry]
Supervisor: Principal at Assigned Location (Buckeye, AZ)
Daily Schedule: 7:40 – 3:49 Monday through Thursday teaching 4, 65 minute classes per day with 3 prep periods. Fridays are reserved for any Professional Development and Teacher preparation and collaboration.
SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
Demonstrate the competencies and attributes as noted within needed to improve student
preparedness and mastery of the subject content through a collaborative, active learning environment. Additionally, the ideal candidate will support the core values, vision, and mission of the Odyssey Institute for Advanced and International Studies
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Demonstrates mastery of related subject matter, instructional skills, and resource
materials for course(s) taught.
- Creates lesson plans, aligned with current state and district standards as well as IB learning objectives, which drives instruction through formative assessment and differentiation.
- Maintains a safe, organized classroom, which supports students’ independent learning,
collaboration, and choice.
- Utilizes a variety of effective instructional and management techniques.
- Provides a variety of assessments and uses assessments for planning and instruction
- Provide consistent, immediate feedback to student learning and asks analytical questions that elicit students’ responses incorporating prior knowledge, life experience, and interests directly related to the content objective.
- Monitor and maintain a positive classroom environment that supports the school wide behavior expectation in which most students are engaged, incorporates mutual respect and provides cooperative learning opportunities.
- Uses available technology/instructional media to enhance the students’ learning experiences.
- Establishes and maintains appropriate relationships with students, parents, staff, and
community members by communicating in a tactful, courteous, and confidential manner.
- Appropriately communicates and interacts with other professional staff in academic planning and school committee work.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and extra-curricular/school related activities and committees.
- Demonstrates a commitment to continuous professional growth and works with administrator to formulate and complete professional development plans.
- Maintains a professional appearance, and demonstrates behavior that is conscientious and responsible.
- Engages Parents and guardians in the education of their children.
- Does not engage in discriminatory practices on any basis, including race, origin, gender, socioeconomic status, disability, religion, or political beliefs.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by the site administrator.
-Meet the needs of scholars through accommodations as warranted.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge and application of Odyssey and departmental policies and
- Knowledge and application of appropriate teaching strategies and methods
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, vendors, students, parents, the general public and others having business with Odyssey
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software applications and equipment
- Specialized teaching assignments may require additional training and/or certification. Odyssey will provide requisite IB guidance and training.
- Must be able to pass an initial fingerprint and background clearance check and maintain a valid fingerprint clearance card at all times when in the classroom.
- May be required to lift and carry heavy, bulky supplies and materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
- May be required to work outside normal working hours.
- May be required to travel to perform work functions.
Applicants must be appropriately certified AND highly qualified, or be eligible to become certified within a year of hiring date.
To be appropriately certified and highly qualified, successful candidates must hold a current teaching certificate issued by the Arizona State Department of Education. They must meet the following criteria:
-Hold a valid AZ Certificate Secondary Education 7-12
-Approved Area Chemistry
-Meet SEI requirements (or hold full ESL Endorsement or Bilingual Endorsement)
-A valid Arizona Dept. of Public Safety IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card