Accountant (Full-time)Posted by: Goethe International Charter School
Posted date: 9/19/2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA 90066
Goethe International Charter School (GICS) is an independent charter school located in West Los Angeles. We have 402 students in grades Transitional Kindergarten through 5. The educational model is based on two critical components: Dual Language Immersion (German as the target language) and the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program.
The mission of Goethe International Charter School of Los Angeles (GICS) is to prepare children in grades K-5 for the global society in an educational environment that is small, academically rigorous and accountable. The school encourages its students to become knowledgeable, self-motivated, critically thinking people who respect, understand and can communicate with people from cultures different from their own.
For the school year 2013/2014 are seeking a highly motivated individual which will be responsible for all financial-related activities, including managing payables and receivables, general banking activity, cash management, interfacing with our back-office accounting service and reporting to our Executive Director and the Board Treasurer. This is a professional opportunity to support a growing public charter school in Los Angeles, CA.
(1) Guides financial decision in collaboration with ExED and prepares input for the Executive Director’s decision or the Finance Committee/Treasurer if applicable;
· Compiles weekly accounting data (payables and receivables) folder for ExED’s processing
· Achieves budget objectives for all scheduled expenditures
· Oversees the payroll process for the school including benefit administration in collaboration with ExED
· Prepares payroll calendar for each year
· Manages GPA budget in collaboration with the GPA contact
· Manages Teacher’s classroom budget in collaboration with Executive Director
· Administers/controls all fee for service contracts
· Analyses variances of all approved budget items, recommends plans to budget adherence (see Financial Analysis below)
· Manages cash balances of bank accounts in collaboration with ExED, the Executive Director and the Finance Committee/Treasurer
· Provides input for the annual budget process in collaboration with ExED, the Executive Director and the Finance Committee/Treasurer
· Monitors and checks donations coming through our website
· Writes tax receipts for donors
· Reviews and monitors reimbursements from staff and parents and requests money orders from service provider accordingly
· Other duties as assigned
(3) Financial Analysis:
· Provides ad hoc financial analysis if requested as well as more comprehensive financial modeling based on monthly reports by ExED
· Develops a more comprehensive financial dashboard for the Executive Director
· Is the primary contact of the school for the Executive Director, Auditors, the Authorizer and the Finance Committee/Treasurer for all financial matters
· Maintains relationships with insurance and outside vendors
(5) Training/Knowledge Transfer Financial Matters:
· Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies
(6) Supports registrar on a case by case basis
Collaborates with LAUSD’s Prop 39 office, a potential landlord, or any other financial institutions associated with a potential private facility
· BA or BS plus business/accounting courses beyond high school preferred.
· Prior financial experience and strong understanding of Mac
· Experience with DOE (Dept. of Education) financial accounting preferable.
· Flexibility to work in a fast paced environment
· Excellent organizational and prioritization skills
· Experience in a Charter School setting preferred
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Detail-oriented, efficient and accurate
· Department of Justice background check
· TB Clearance
Start date: October 7th, 2013
Salary commensurate with experience for 11 months. We offer full benefits and a collaborative and exciting workplace
Please send your letter of interest and resume to email@example.com September 27th, 2013.
Goethe International Charter School is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state or federal law. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation in the application and/or interview process should indicate during the time of submitting an application or prior to the interview so that we can make proper arrangements. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.