Join our movement
At Success Academy, we make history every single day. Our schools rank in the top 5% in New York State for reading, science, and math. We provide an exploration driven curriculum for grades K-8, focused on the whole child. Chess, art, and other specialized subjects bring excitement to the school day and foster a lifelong love of learning. Our communities are calling for more, and we are meeting this urgent demand with rapid expansion.
Are you ready to join this movement and make an indelible mark on education reform across New York City?
The Human Resources team strategically supports employees across all of the Success Academy Charter Schools through benefits and compliance and talent and organizational development. Human Resources initiatives retention and development; performance management; benefits and compensation analysis; new hire orientation; and internal communications and employee engagement. In addition, the Human Resources team strives for continuous improvement in its processes and provides ongoing coaching and expertise as needed to create a culture of joyful excellence.
The Assistant Director of Human Resources will report directly to the Director of Human Resources. Responsibilities include:
- Assist in the management of all HR team members, participate in team planning and strategy; directly manage a HR Assistant and a HR Associate
- Act as the go-to for the director, standing in as interim director in her absence
- Directly oversee the benefits and compliance division of HR. (This division is responsible for all aspects of our robust benefits package comprised of major medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance, health flex spending account (FSA) and 403b retirement plan.)
- Re-evaluate and redesign benefit plans as necessary with the growth of the organization in mind; negotiate the lowest rates possible for the employees and SA-CS
- Proactively pursue new initiatives, such as self-funding possibilities, and wellness programs
- Partner with the Director of HR to provide leadership and professional development training to network and school operations staff
- Collaborate with senior management and the Director of HR to proactively resolve employee relations issues
- Lead the performance management process including training, HRIS administration, and compensation adjustments
- Lead the annual employee placement process, including discussing compensation and advising on qualifications for roles
- Act as Super Admin for The Force (HRIS)
- Manage and re-develop the onboarding, off-boarding, promotion and transfer process for all employees, including the oversight of COBRA administration
- Ensure accuracy of data that is stored in employee files; both electronic form and hard copy
- Act as resident instructor certification, fingerprinting, and NCLB highly qualified status expert
- Produce accurate and detailed reports related to retention, compensation, diversity, and retention in response to audits, grants, and internal inquiries
- Create and track all HR communications and pursue the design of a HR intranet system
- Support the Director of Human Resources on additional projects
The ideal candidate for this position has a Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years of direct or indirect experience in Human Resources field.
The candidate must demonstrate competency in the following areas:
- Proactive and ambitious. Possesses an insatiable desire for answers and information, constantly researching and establishing new contacts and resources.
- Data analysis. Intermediate to advanced excel skills strongly preferred, including nested formulas, pivot-tables, and formatting techniques. Uses shortcuts to work quickly and efficiently.
- Technical HR acumen. Knowledgeable about state and federal labor, employment, and insurance law, especially PPACA; charter and education law a plus. Has a strong regard for confidentiality and employs sound reasoning to make quick determinations.
- Attention to detail. Thinks critically about the details of a task at hand. Has an uncommon ability to catch errors at a glance.
- Organization and project management. Keeps track of upcoming, ongoing, and past work product. Understands shifting priorities and deadlines and can juggle multiple and varied projects simultaneously.
- Public Speaking. Exhibits comfort and confidence when explaining technical terms to small and large groups.
In addition, the following characteristics are required to be successful on this team:
- Flexibility. Enthusiastic about taking on last-minute challenges and changes in schedule.
- Dedication to mission. A genuine interest in finding ways to improve public education and support our schools.
- Collaboration. Working with teammates to create the final product.
- Beyond Z attitude. Willingness to go above and beyond the requirements of the job to be innovative and support the organization.
Please upload a resume and cover letter that outlines how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the Assistant Director of Human Resources position (http://www.successcareers.org).
Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.