2012-2013 Teaching Opportunities: Pre School - 5th GradePosted by: Scholar Academies
Posted date: 7/19/2012
Location: Washington DC
Scholar Academies is a non-profit school management organization that exists to close the achievement gap for low-income students. Scholar Academies currently operates three schools: Young Scholars Charter School in Philadelphia, Young Scholars Douglass in Philadelphia, and DC Scholars Stanton in Washington DC. Scholar Academies will open DC Scholars Public Charter School for students in Pre School through 3rd grade in August 2012. The school will grow to eventually serve students up to 8th grade.
Our network currently serves approximately 1,300 students in the elementary and middle grades. Our flagship Young Scholars Charter School, the highest-performing charter middle school in Philadelphia, serves 250 middle school students; Young Scholars Frederick Douglass Charter School and DC Scholars Stanton Elementary, our “turnaround” elementary schools, serve a combined 1,050 students.
In five years, Scholar Academies plans to:
· Operate nine schools serving more than 5,000 students in two to three cities
· Open and operate a high-performing high school
· Provide unparalleled school management and support to each campus
Beyond that, Scholar Academies plans to continue on an aggressive growth trajectory and be one of the highest achieving school networks in the nation.
Washington DC Teachers (Pre School through 5th Grade)
Scholar Academies seeks qualified, dynamic, data-driven, results-oriented teachers for a variety of positions in Washington DC. Elementary teachers with experience in Pre School through 5th grade, in general education and special education, and across subject areas (e.g. lower elementary, upper elementary, art, physical education, etc.) are encouraged to apply.
· Develop effective lesson plans, homework assignments and assessments that align with state standards and the instructional standards of our schools
· Effectively and consistently deliver high-quality instruction and execute our school-wide model
· Collaborate with other faculty to discuss student achievement data, perfect the craft of instruction, and ensure student mastery of standards
· Maintain close relationships with families (e.g., through phone calls and conferences) and tutor students who need extra support
· Participate in on-going professional development
· Outstanding instructional skills, including the ability to motivate students and cultivate a culture of achievement
· At least two years teaching experience, preferably in an urban public or charter school
· Demonstrated track record of success driving measurable student outcomes
· A belief that all students should be held to high academic standards
· Must have or be working towards in-state teacher certification
· Must be resilient, persistent, collaborative, and professional
· Bachelor’s degree in subject matter that one wishes to teach or related field
· Demonstrated expertise in subject area
· The ability to communicate effectively with parents
· A positive, high-energy attitude and a drive for excellence
· A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
· The ability to problem-solve and a sense of humor are required
How to Apply
Please visit our website at: http://scholaracademies.org/ and select “Join Our Team” to view current job opportunities and submit your application. Only applicants applying electronically will be considered. No calls or faxes, please.